| While supplies last, you save $7.99 (20%)
As the population of young dual language learners continues to rise, how can early childhood professionals choose culturally and linguistically appropriate assessments for Spanish/English bilingual preschoolers? They'll get expert guidance in this resource, a comprehensive roundup and analysis of 37 developmental assessments available in English and Spanish. It's the only guide that examines specific early childhood bilingual measures, this book gives professionals detailed reviews culled from the highly respected authors' extensive research and comparative analyses. For each measure, program administrators, curriculum developers, SLPs, and other professionals will
· get an at-a-glance snapshot of key characteristics, including age range, cost, domains measured, and time requirements
· evaluate major strengths and weaknesses
· easily compare the English and Spanish versions across cultural, linguistic, and psychometric properties
· learn the basics of administration and scoring
· investigate technical data, including standardization, norming, validity, and reliability
· see if the tool includes adaptations and accommodations for children with disabilities
· review the results of relevant studies that used the measure
To help professionals conduct the most effective assessments, the book also includes research-based strategies and solid background information. Readers will get a helpful overview of bilingual language development, general guidelines on selecting measures for young dual language learners, and tips on administering assessments with awareness of and respect for cultural and linguistic influences.
An essential resource to support informed decision-making, this invaluable guide will help professionals choose culturally and linguistically appropriate early childhood assessments that accurately capture the abilities of young dual language learners.
Reviews of 37 English and Spanish assessments, including:
Battelle Developmental Inventory, Second Edition (BDI 2)
Brigance Preschool Screen II
Compton Preschoolers Screening Evaluation
Early Literacy Skills Assessment (ELSA)
Get Ready to Read!
Merrill-Palmer-Revised Scales of Development (Merrill-Palmer R)
Preschool Language Scale Fifth Edition (PLS-5)
Woodcock-MuÃÂ±oz Language Survey-Revised, Normative Update
Young Children's Achievement Test (YCAT)
296 pages. 2012
Keywords: Special needs; Assessment and diagnosis;Persons providing care to the aged or disabled;Foster care;Early child development;Early Intervention;Infant mental health;Language and communication;Teaching reading to children with special needs